Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I love Autumn in New York....

To celebrate Carter's graduation from ODS, we decided to take the train from Providence, RI to New York for a romantic weekend getaway. We booked a room at the gorgeous Setai Fifth Avenue and had a wonderful weekend exploring a city we adore. One of my guilty pleasures is fabulous hotels, and the Setai did not disappoint. The service was impeccable and our room was phenomenal. I could have stayed there forever.


We arrived Friday evening and caught up with Adam and Scott for dinner and an adventure to a speakeasy. I'm glad I take cell photos of things I want to note later because otherwise I would have forgotten about this sassy little quote on our receipt - "I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the carats in a diamond" - Mae West. LOVE :)


On Saturday, we awoke to a beautiful day and strapped on our walking boots for a nice walk down to Ground Zero. On the way, we meandered through Madison Square Eats and drooled over all the goodness.


As we were strolling along, we literally walked into the Occupy Wall Street protesters as they were marching through the West Village.



When we arrived at the 9/11 Memorial, we were disheartened to discover that it required advance tickets. Fortunately, they noticed Carter's Navy shirt and allowed us in since he's active duty. We were so appreciative as we would not have been able to see it otherwise. The memorial is peaceful and meditative. I can't believe it has been 10 years since the attacks.








That night, we met up with Adam for quick bite to eat before seeing Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark. That poor show has gotten so much press that we just had to see it for ourselves. Despite it being a disaster when it opened, I really enjoyed the revised show and all of the stunts. You can't go into it expecting an actual Tony award-winning theatre performance with a phenomenal score, (although I DID expect more from Bono and the Edge), and actors. You go into it expecting to feel like you're on a movie set. I adored the Green Goblin - he was by far the best character. I loved the acrobatics, artistry of the sets, and stunts. The flying fight scene was great. Was it worth the price of the ticket? Probably not. But was it good entertainment and aesthetically pleasing? You betcha.


On Sunday, we strolled around Central Park before meeting up with my cousin, Catherine, and her family for lunch.



 It was so great to catch up with Catherine and Greg and meet sweet Amanda. She will be the cutest Halloween panda! What a beautiful family and wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

The Kings said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend!!! Hope yall had a blast celebrating!!!