Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crockpot Sunday: Jenn's Homemade Tomato Basil Soup

I LOVE tomato basil soup and have been wanting to create a homemade recipe using minimal and fresh ingredients. Last week, I decided it was the perfect time to start experimenting. This was my first shot and I'll probably re-work the recipe throughout the winter but I loved how this one turned out. It is delicious!



Ingredients:
12-13 tomatoes (local and organic)
As much Basil as you can possibly buy (if you are a basil fanatic like myself)
5 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion
1 cup of cream
2 tbsp butter
Sea Salt and pepper to taste

Cut a shallow "X" into the bottom of each tomato. Place in boiling water for 30 seconds - 1 minute to soften skin. You will notice the skin beginning to peel away. When finished, use your fingers or a paring knife to peel the skin off the tomatoes. Quarter tomatoes and place into crockpot.



Next, dice as much garlic and onion as you would like. I used about 5 garlic cloves and 1 yellow onion. Place on top of tomatoes in crockpot.

Next, chop up lots and lots of basil and place on top.

Cook on LOW heat for approx 6 hours, stirring every 1-2 hours. Run through a food processor to break up chunks. Pour back into crockpot and add 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp butter and sea salt/pepper to taste. Let cook for another 30 minutes.

While I finished up the soup, my husband whipped up a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches on fresh sourdough bread. The PERFECT Sunday crockpot/football meal. It also freezes very well and was perfect to enjoy during for our first snow!

2 comments:

Macquel said...

ooo yaya, thanks for sharing! I WILL be making this soon!! yum!

John and Maria said...

hi there! i came across this recipe on pinterest and had to stop by when i saw the name of your blog! my maiden name is Sigmon and it's pretty rare to meet Sigmons with the same spelling. any chance you're related to Northwest AR Sigmons? anyway, i am making some tomato soup tonight for a group dinner and love your recipe idea. thanks for sharing!