Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Just Remembered I Knew Better

It's hard to believe how fast time has flown - that this time last year, my sister-in-law and I were on the road trip of a lifetime exploring Yellowstone National Park. Aside from close encounters with bears, moose, elk and bison, one of my favorite parts was a profound statement by a little girl. While in Mammoth Springs, we saw a single dad with his hands full with a baby in a stroller and a couple of older kids running all over the place. The little girl was about 4 years old and had run off with her older brother. Mary and I noticed the dad becoming frustrated with the older kids not listening to his calls to stay close. It melted my heart when the little girl came running back with her head hanging. "I'm sorry, daddy," she said. "I just remembered that I knew better."

This has stuck with me this past year, and I often hear that little girl's voice in my head - when I take my anger/frustrations out on the person who least deserves it. When I know I'm not pushing myself to do my best. Blaming feeling tired/grumpy for not going out of my way for someone else, when it would have been so easy to lend a helping hand. That little girl is a role model for me. In the middle of doing something she shouldn't, she stopped and immediately righted the wrong. I was so inspired by this tiny girl who had the courage to ask for forgiveness when she knew she hurt someone she loved.

Do you have moments where you stop and think, "I'm sorry, I just remembered that I knew better"?

3 comments:

cheryl denise said...

very inspiring story, jenn. thanks for sharing. i need to strive to "know better" as well.

a peek of chic

Macquel said...

Absolutely adorable, I love that story. Thanks so much for sharing, Jenn! I love tender mercies like that :D

L MCCLELLAND said...

Yes! Yesterday, in fact. I said something I wish I could have taken back. And I told myself I knew better than that. Thanks for sharing this story!