Friday, May 18, 2012

Gratitude

If there's one thing I've learned this year, it's that it takes a village to move the Sigmon's out of Denver! This has been an extremely challenging year on many levels, and I'm so grateful to the friends and family who helped to ease our burdens.

This time last year, I was filled with anxiety and trepidation. I knew that starting in September, Carter and I would begin 8 months of living in different states. I would be staying in Colorado to complete my final year of dental hygiene school, while he would move to California to start his new job with the Navy following residency. I spent months dreading what was to come.

Thankfully, while our living situation was less than ideal, it was nowhere near as terrible as I built up in my head. However, once we put the house on the market while I was studying for boards....well, that was a different story :) We had so much help from our friends...you guys helped make this year much less stressful than it may have been otherwise.

Friends who helped us out by housesitting (and shoveling snow) over Christmas break so Tally and I could spend a month with Carter in San Diego. Friends who dog-sat Tally when I had to be somewhere before day camp opened. Friends who gave Tally and I a place to live when we closed on the house and moved out with 3 weeks of school left. Friends who let me complain when pregnancy hormones were in overdrive and I was feeling overwhelmed by all that had to get done and felt that the world was against me.

5 years ago, we moved to Denver without knowing anyone there. I could not have imagined meeting such kind and caring people. So many friends have let me lean on them for support and have kept me sane during times when I was losing my mind. I cannot thank you enough and am so fortunate to have you in my life.

It's been a long, long road to complete everything we had to do this year, but the light at the end of the tunnel is looking brighter. In less than a week, our little family will be reunited and we will move into our new home in San Diego as we prepare to welcome our first baby. Our chapter in Denver has been one of the best ones yet and I'm sad to see it closing. I'm really going to miss you guys.

No comments: