Sunday, February 5, 2012

February 4th - Snow Day!

One thing I will never forget about our first winter in Denver is adjusting to snow being normal. I remember being at work one night and asking if we would be starting late the next day since the forecast was for 8-10" of snow. Crickets. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Sure enough, every single patient arrived on time. In Denver, there are no runs on the grocery store. Toilet paper, milk, and bread remain in stock. This also meant I had to learn to drive in the snow, since I never actually had to do this on the east coast since everything shuts down for half an inch. If you grew up in my hometown, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. School would be cancelled just because the word "snow" was uttered in the forecast. It didn't necessarily need to snow more than 1" to be out of school for a week. And let's not forget about the year we didn't go to school for over a month.


5 years later, we finally got a storm in Denver big enough to induce snow awe. I had to fight my east coast instincts to run to the store for random items I would never need in excess. I did happen to need bread, but fortunately we manage to have a regular supply of TP in the house and resist the need to buy 10 packs when it snows. And we don't buy multiple loaves of crummy bread when it snows. No way....nothing but the best crusty, bakery fresh loaf to make mouth-watering grilled cheeses. There are few things I enjoy more on a snow day than tomato basil soup and grilled cheese with crusty bread and parrano cheese. I'm getting excited for lunchtime just thinking about it.

Isn't it fun to have that snow day excitement? For the first time since we've been here, everything school and community related were cancelled. I got a bona fide snow day on Friday, complete with shoveling 15" of snow. Somehow, Carter always manages to be out of town during the snowstorms. Impeccable timing ;) I do miss his world-famous hot chocolate, though. It's just one of those things that doesn't taste as good when you make it yourself. Tally and I are having a great time snuggling, playing the snow, catching up on trashy shows in the DVR, studying, and watching the over-achieving Denverites jog in over a foot of snow. 

Missing: one hot tub, and one shovel
And true to Denver form, as I finish writing this and head out to shovel one final time as the last snowflake falls, the sun is coming out and already starting to melt everything. Love it! 


No comments: