Monday, November 14, 2011

Fresh Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe


Nothing says fall like pumpkin bread! If you know me, then you know how much I love pumpkin flavored-anything. For some reason, I used to think cooking with real pumpkin was intimidating. Like most things, it was only daunting in my head and is so easy to do! I roasted 3 small sugar pie pumpkins a few weeks ago and froze the puree until I had time to play with the recipe. An extra bonus is roasting the seeds for later :) 


I was making my go-to pumpkin bread recipe a few weeks ago, and realized that the recipe called for a ton of sugar. We were bringing the pumpkin bread to visit with some former neighbors who are in their 80's, so I thought it would be best to stick to a more traditional recipe for them and then experiment later. My first experimentation turned out beautifully - as long as you don't mind that your bread doesn't rise :( I was very sad, the spices were spot on but that was about all that turned out well. I realized that change is slow and instead of trying to overhaul the entire recipe at once, I'd start with a few modifications then continue to work the recipe over time. The applesauce and chocolate chips add just the right amount of sweetness while eliminating cups of sugar. I'd like to play around with other natural sweeteners, but that's another day. This baby came out of the oven tonight and it's amazing! 

Pumpkin Bread
1-1/2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (directions below)
3/4 cup applesauce (I used Ela Family Farms Gala Gala - local and organic with no added sugar)
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp chia
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (they taste so much better than regular ones)

To cook the pumpkin: It is easiest to do this in advance so you have it on hand to use later. It freezes really well, too. Here are some tips on cooking with fresh sugar pie pumpkins- I prefer the baking method and scooping the puree into a big tupperware bowl.  


To make the bread: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. In mixing bowl, combine applesauce and pumpkin puree. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Add water. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Pour into a greased bread pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. 


Enjoy! 

1 comment:

The Kings said...

hummm I'm drooling!!! Looks Delish!!!